Wednesday 5 February 2014

5 February, 2014: Different Intepretations

I've been listening to and watching different performances of "I'm Here" for inspiration.

I was most familiar with Fantasia's studio recording of "I'm Here" from her 2010 Grammy-nominated release, Back to Me. Fantasia had performed the song prior to this recording as part of the Broadway cast of The Color Purple from April 2007 to January 2008 and also at the 61st Annual Tony Awards.


Another R&B star who delivered a powerful rendition is Jennifer Hudson who performed "I'm Here" at the 2010 Kennedy Center Honors as a tribute to Oprah Winfrey who was one of the honorees that night.

The most useful recording I found however was in the form of this clip - though the first portion of the song is missing. It is Jeannette Bayardelle live in the first national tour in 2007. This allows me to see how the performance looks with the full set, costume and make-up of the musical production and also how one can explore the stage and perform the song in this setting.



No comments:

Post a Comment